30th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems
ACM SIGSPATIAL 2022
November 1-4, 2022
Seattle, Washington, USA
Call for Workshop Proposals
The ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM SIGSPATIAL) traditionally holds a day of co-located workshops immediately on the first day of the conference, November 1st, 2022. T he workshops have proven to be very vibrant events, providing a focused environment for exchanging ideas and experiences, and they attract a significant majority of the regular conference attendees. Workshop proceedings are published in the ACM Digital Library. ACM SIGSPATIAL 2022 aims to continue this practice and invites submission of workshop proposals. The proposals should be submitted as pdf-format attachment to an email sent to the workshop chairs Maria Luisa Damiani, Karine Zeitouni, and Andreas Züfle by May 10, 2022.
The expected duration of a workshop is one half day or one full day, and all the accepted workshops will take place on November 1st, 2022 at the main conference venue. The workshops focus on particular aspects of the field and are intended to enhance the conference experience for those attending the ACM SIGSPATIAL Conference.
Workshops can take different forms, including:
- Mini-conferences on specialized topics with their own paper submission and review process.
- Working group meetings with the goal of producing a report, data, or experiment.
- Mini-competitions or challenges around selected topics with individual or team participation.
- Interactive discussion meetings focused on subtopics of SIGSPATIAL
Registration for workshops will be part of the regular registration process for the main conference. The conference sets the registration fees for the workshops, which are the same for each workshop and are set at a minimum level to recover costs of room rental, refreshments, and AV. No complimentary registration is provided to workshop organizers nor keynote speakers nor any other persons affiliated with the workshops. If workshop organizers wish to have invited speakers, any additional financial support must come from funds that are raised by the workshop organizers. Workshops are encouraged to recognize their best papers or presentations with awards, which can be announced at the conference banquet.
When composing the actual call for papers, workshop organizers are advised to explicitly mention that one author per accepted workshop contribution (paper, poster, demo) is required to register for the workshop and the conference, as well as attend the workshop to present the accepted work. Otherwise, the accepted submission will not appear in the ACM Digital Library version of the workshop proceedings. Each workshop proposal must contain information deemed pertinent by the organizer(s) which, at the minimum, should include the following:
- Workshop title. For consistency, the workshop title should be of the form “Nth ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on <multiple word topic> (<abbreviated topic> 2022)”. An example is “4th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on AI for Geographic Knowledge Discovery (GeoAI 2022)”.
- Short description of the topic and the format of the workshop
- Explanation of why the workshop is a good match with ACM SIGSPATIAL 2022.
- Names and contact information of the workshop organizer(s)
- Names of the members of the program committee (at least 50% must be already known and confirmed at the time of the proposal)
- Expected number of participants
- A written confirmation from all organizers that they will register and attend the workshop, upon acceptance
- If the proposed workshop is organized previously, please provide workshop statistics (include number of direct submissions, accepted number of papers, how many invited speakers, and panel if any).
The decision about acceptance/rejection of workshop proposals will be made by the Workshop Chairs in consultation with the SIGSPATIAL Executive Committee and the General Chairs, taking into account the venue capacity as well as viability.
Evaluation criteria include overall quality and the fit with respect to the expected ACM SIGSPATIAL 2022 program. Note that proposals are especially encouraged on emerging topics that are relevant to spatial information systems and algorithms. Notification regarding acceptance of particular workshop proposals is expected to be sent out within the two weeks after the submission, and no later than May 24, 2022.
The organizers of successful workshops will be responsible for their own review process. Publicity will be handled jointly with the workshop organizers being responsible for the creation of a workshop website. The local arrangements chairs require that all workshops adhere to a specific general timetable to facilitate catering. Workshop organizers must inform the Workshop Chairs of the numbers of submissions and acceptances as soon as these numbers become available. Depending on the number of paper submissions, organizers may reduce the workshop to half-day format. All proposers and organizers of accepted workshops must also register for the workshop or the workshop will be canceled.
Proposal Submission Deadline: May 10, 2022
Send the proposal (PDF, no more than 3 pages) to Workshop Co-Chairs:
Notification of Acceptance: May 24, 2022